Merci Train - Indiana
In June 1949, Fort Wayne Mayor Henry E. Branning, Jr. traveled to Indianapolis to collect Fort Wayne's allocation of gifts from the IN Merci Car. On June 17, 1949, Mayor Branning brought some of those gifts to the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society to place them in the permanent collection. The History Center has recently posted pictures of that event along with pictures of some of the artifacts on their online virtual exhibits. This exhibit may be found through the link below.
One gift is known to exist at the entrance to the Whittenberger entrance of the Indiana Memorial Union on the Bloomington campus of Indiana University. The piece is a plaster cast of "Ugolino and His Sons" by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux (1827-75). Sherry Rouse is the Curator of Campus Art, and may be reached at Indiana University Art Museum, Bloomington, IN 47405 - (812) 855-1024 - E-mail Her
Click on the image below to view full size